Android SDK/ADT is a platform for android OS which helps you to develop applications for Android devices. So here is a complete tutorial on Android SDK/ADT Bundle installation on Ubuntu. I am using Ubuntu 13.04, 64-bit Intel Core i5 2450M cpu @ 2.50GHZx4 you can check yours in System Setting or use command
to check your OS and
to check your linux distribution.
2. Depending on the Operating System you need install the following package ia32-libs in your machine. Android SDK is 32-bit, so for 64-bit Machine you need to have the 32-bit ia32-libs package. Since my machine is 64-bit with Ubuntu 13.04 OS, i am using second one.
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
# Ubuntu 12.04
sudo apt-get install libc6-i386 lib32stdc++6 lib32gcc1 lib32ncurses5
# Ubuntu 13.04
sudo apt-get install libc6-i386 lib32stdc++6 lib32gcc1 lib32ncurses5 lib32z1
# Ubuntu 13.10
3. Now install JDK for linux if you haven’t installed. (
Openjdk-6-jdk or later version openjdk-7-jdk)
You can install via software center or via command line
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk
you can check by using command on terminal
4. Now you need to download Android SDK package you can directly download from your terminal by using the following wget command.
ADT bundle for 64-bit linux
or you can visit http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download and download SDK or ADT Bundle. I have downloaded ADT Bundle because it contains Eclipse IDE with SDK by default. But if you already have Development Environment then you can only download SDK.
5. After downloading SDK or ADT Bundle you can perform the following tasks.
for SDK: extract the downloaded file using the command
tar -xvzf android-sdk_r20-linux.tgz
for ADT Bundle: Extract the zip file using the command
sudo apt-get install unzip
unzip file.zip -d destination_folder
or simply right click on the file and select “Extract here”.
since i have downloaded ADT Bundle i extracted the file in to my program folder which is located inside home directory. Now you need to change your current directory into tools directory inside android sdk. use cd command
cd ~[your sdk path]/tools
//in my case:
//if you’ve downloaded sdk from wget method
6. Now execute the following command to install latest android updates
7. Edit “
.bashrc” open a new terminal and type the command
it will appear the following window
and now add the following lines and save the file
In my case the following line since the SDK in ADT Bundle is in program directory “
8. Now simply logout and login so that the change will take effect. Open terminal and perform the command
Android Virtual device manager will open and you can create your own android virtual device by selecting the new button on top right.
Now you have successfully completed the android SDK/ADT installation in Linux (Ubuntu) now you can develop your own application for android OS.